Early bird catches the worm!

You know the expression, the early bird catches the worm?  Well, when it comes to curriculum, the early bird catches mistakes.  Many of you have been buying my "Documenting Common Core Standards" packets for next school year.  One of the teachers who bought one of these packets was an early bird.  This early bird teacher is already working on her plans for next school year.  Pretty amazing, right?  She found an alignment problem when she printed the standards labels and was nice enough to let me know about it.  When I printed the labels with the Open Office program that I made the labels with, they printed correctly.  But, went I printed the pdf file of labels, the labels weren't printing correctly on the labels.  I made sure I had the updated version of Open Office and Adobe, but it didn't solve the problem.   After many, many hours of moving this label and that label down a row or two, convert it to pdf, and print it, I finally got a set of labels that was lined up correctly in the pdf format.  But, I could see how labor intensive and costly in labels this was going to be.  Plus, I might want to include labels in future lesson packets.  So, what's a girl to do, but go shopping!  I thought Microsoft Word would solve all my label pdf problems.  Wrong!  I found the same pdf issue when I used this program.  UGH!  If someone in cyber-land knows how to solve this problem, please e-mail me.  The first person who can tell me what I'm doing wrong will get to go on a $20 shopping trip in my TPT store.  Email me at:  teach123.school@gmail.com

Until someone can tell what I'm doing wrong, I knew I needed to fix this problem.  What I did was make all new labels with Microsoft Word and saved them as a word doc.  There are two versions of each label.  One with lines and one without lines.  Here are examples:

I thought teachers who plan to print these files on labels would want the ones without lines.  The ones with lines would be helpful if you plan to copy these files in the copier, cut them apart and have your students glue them in their documentation books.  The advantage of the word doc. is if you want to make a page of one standard you can cut and paste from these files to a make a new sheet easily.  With every dark cloud, there is a silver lining.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!  If you know what I'm doing wrong, please help me.  I use labels a lot!  I can't make labels with clipart in a word doc.  Due to copyright issues, I have to save clipart in pdf files.  Plus, if I use a font that you don't have on your computer, the labels wouldn't look the same in a word doc.


Lori Rosenberg said...

What PDF program are you using? I had the same problem when I used Nuance PDF Creator. I had to uninstall it and reinstall it to get it to print properly. Also, check your printer settings and make sure it is set to print on letter sized paper. Once, mine switched to A4 and it didn't print properly. You can also try a different PDF creator. One more thing, make sure your default printer is set to print on letter sized paper. I've actually had all these problems!

Lori (luvyorkies@gmail.com)
Teaching With Love and Laughter

Michelle said...

Hi Lori,
I am using the Adobe Reader program. I did check my printer settings, too. I even tried printing them at 90% instead of 100% - no luck. And it is set to letter sized paper.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had these problems. I will go try a new PDF program and let you know if it fixes the problem.

Amanda Post said...

Try putting in an extra 1/2" margin at the bottom to see if that helps. An inkjet cannot use the last 1/2" so it often adjusts for that when printing.

Amanda @ A to Z Teacher Stuff

Michelle said...

Thanks! I will try that.